Applicant FAQs

M.A. vs. Ph.D. Application

You do not need to have an M.A. to apply to the Ph.D. program. You should apply to the Ph.D. program if you intend on finishing your Ph.D. at the University of Arizona. You should apply to the M.A. program if you intend on earning a terminal Master's degree. Typically, master's students are teachers in the public schools or desire employment in community colleges.

Transfer Credit

Up to 15 units earned at other institutions can transfer into the Ph.D. program. Six graduate units can transfer into the M.A. program.

Letters of Recommendation


If your recommenders are unable to submit their letters online, please have them email the letter to the program coordinator or mail the letter on letterhead and sign the back of the envelope across the seal.

The address for mailing:

Program Coordinator, Literature
Department of English
PO Box 210067
University of Arizona
Tucson, AZ 85721-0067


Yes, though letters from academic professionals are preferred.

Faxed and emailed recommendations are acceptable if on letterhead and signed. Our fax number is 520-621-7397. 

GRE (Graduate Record Exam)



Financial Aid

No. All our students are funded through Graduate Teaching Assistantships. There is no separate application.

The Literature program offers Graduate Teaching Assistantships, Graduate Tuition Scholarships, and Graduate Fellowships. Students with assistantships typically teach three sections of undergraduate composition in an academic year. Pay varies depending upon one's academic degrees and progress in the program. Tuition (in- and out-of-state) and health insurance are fully covered for Graduate Teaching Assistants. 

Graduate assistantships can be renewed from year to year according to your original contract letter.  GTS awards may be renewed depending upon availability.

In the past few years, all students entering the program received graduate assistantships. Graduate Fellowship monies may be available. The fellowships are need-based and a FAFSA form must be filled out in order to qualify.

Yes. However, the UA Student Fees must still be paid each semester.