Accelerated M.A. in English
Complete your undergraduate degree and get an M.A. in English in as little as 5 years.
About the Program
Our Accelerated Master's Program in English allows you to complete your B.A. in English and earn an M.A in English in as little as 5 years! This program is designed for eager and focused English majors with desire to continue on their studies as a graduate student in the M.A. English program.
Any English major may apply to the program during the Spring semester of their junior year. You must have an excellent academic record and the ability to balance your courseworks in a fast-paced program.
To be considered for admission, you must:
- have earned 75 units with a 3.5 GPA at the time of application
- complete 90 units by the time you are admitted (Fall of senior year)
- complete at least 12 units of upper-division in English or American literature courses at the UA prior to entering the program.
We recommend that you speak with your academic advisor about your interest in the program early to plan your courses accordingly.
Your online application will include the following:
- three letters of recommendation (we suggest at least two of these come from English Department faculty members who taught you in upper-division courses)
- a Statement of Purpose
- a Writing Sample (we recommend a single paper of roughly 20 pages or two papers of roughly 10 pages each)
- a GRE Verbal Aptitude score
- a brief statement indicating that you have made some progress in learning to read a foreign language
To receive your M.A. in English degree, you must complete:
- 30 units of graduate courses, 12 of which must be taken during your senior year of undergraduate study (can be counted toward both B.A. and M.A. degrees)
- remaining 18 units should be completed during your second year in the program
- your M.A. examination
- Foreign Language requirement
To be confirmed for Graduate Status at the beginning of your second year in the program, you must:
- maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or above in 12 credits of graduate courses you took during your fist year
- file an approved Plan of Study after consulting with the Program Director
Contact Professor Lynda Zwinger, Director of the Graduate Literature Program, for more information or set up a brief informal meeting.