Multi-genre craft course introducing creative writing craft terms and concepts via intensive reading in poetry, fiction, and nonfiction.
Degree Requirements – Creative Writing
- 1st Year English or equivalent
- Math: PHIL 110, LING 123, MATH 107, 109C, 112, or higher
- 4th semester second language proficiency
- 6 units Tier 1 Individuals & Societies
- 6 units Tier 1 Traditions & Cultures
- 6 units Tier 1 Natural Sciences
- 3 units Tier 2 Individuals & Societies
- 3 units Tier 2 Natural Sciences
- 3 units Tier 2 Arts
- 3 units Diversity
Required, minimum of 18 units (or double-major)
- Complete the following coursework (3 units)
- Complete two of the following courses (6 units)
This course is intended to give students a practical understanding of beginning techniques of nonfiction writing, taught through exercises, the writing of original nonfiction, and readings in contemporary nonfiction. The course complements existing courses in poetry (ENGL209) and fiction (ENGL210). All three courses are intended to improve undergraduate education by providing contact hours with Creative Writing faculty members early in the undergraduate's course of study.
Beginning techniques of poetry writing, taught through exercises, the writing of original poetry, and readings in contemporary poetry.
Beginning techniques of fiction writing, taught through exercises, the writing of original fiction, and readings in contemporary fiction.
- Must complete 280, 373a OR 373b, 380 (9 units)
Close reading of literary texts, critical analysis, and articulation of intellectually challenging ideas in clear prose.
A survey of British and American literature to 1660, with emphasis on major writers in their literary and historical contexts.
A survey of British and American literature from 1660 to the Victorian period, with emphasis on major writers in their literary and historical contexts.
Introduction to the various modes, techniques, and terminology of practical criticism.
Intermediate & Advanced Workshops
Complete one 300-level creative writing workshop (3 units)
ENGL 301, 304, 309
And complete one 400-level creative writing workshop (3 units)
ENGL 401, 404, 409
Writing-Emphasis Course for creative writing majors.
This is a Writing Emphasis Course for the Creative Writing Major. Discussion of student stories in a workshop setting.
This is a Writing Emphasis Course for the Creative Writing Major. Discussion of student poems in a workshop setting.
- Workshops may be in the same or different genres
Upper Division English Electives
- Complete 4 courses (12 units)
- 2 of which must be modern or contemporary literature
- May not use ENGL 307, 308, 313, 322, 340, 355, 405, 406, 408, 421, 425A/B, 455, or 462
Elective courses can be taken if needed to reach 120 total units or 42 upper-division units