We are currently seeking one (1) intern to assist with the implementation of the spring phase of our high school-university partnership program. The intern will gain valuable professional writing experience and build relationships with Tucson-area high school teachers and UA faculty. This is an excellent opportunity for someone interested in public education, community organizing, or community-based non-profit work. Administrative and Partnership Support responsibilities detailed below.
Wildcat Writers is a network of high school and college writing teachers and students who collaborate to foster creative and critical literacies and engage in meaningful community-based action beyond the classroom. The 2017 recipient of the UA’s Peter Likins Inclusive Excellence Award, our organization constructs college access pathways for underrepresented students and nurtures the development of a social justice-oriented, national movement for high school-college partnership programs.
The ideal intern is responsible, punctual, and detail-oriented, with proficient knowledge of Google Applications, Microsoft Word, Excel, and multiple social media platforms. They are interested in community education and are willing to engage in self-reflection and metacognition. Applicants should be majoring in a related field, with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher. Excellent verbal and written communication skills are necessary, as well as the ability to work independently and with a diverse team. Preference will be given to those who have participated in Wildcat Writers.
Note: Computer technology not provided; must provide personal laptop.
Duties and responsibilities
The Intern is responsible for assembling, cataloging, preserving, and managing collections of Wildcat Writer’s historical and current information. Duties include:
● Arrange, digitize, and make available Wildcat Writer’s archival materials in accessible formats
● Interview past Wildcat Writer members and produce Spotlight Profiles from interview materials
● Attend all Wildcat Writer’s monthly board meetings
- Record minutes
- Share process of in-progress materials and receive feedback
● Grow social media platform actively, maintaining weekly posts
● Collect, record, and keep organized photo release forms
Partnership Support Responsibilities:
The Intern is responsible for supporting our program's educators. Duties include:
● Help research and create educational activities for campus visits
● Supply teachers with information regarding cost, transportation, ect. of culturally relevant spaces, local farms, historical sites, museums, etc. for incorporation into The Wildcat Writers Directory of Campus and Community Spaces
● Attend 5-7 partnership events over the course of the spring semester
- Update WW Social Media with event highlights
- Use photography and video equipment to document classroom visits and other partnership activities
- Keeping photo release forms organized and up to date
● Assist in planning and execution of Wildcat Writer’s events
● Support Wildcat Writers and Partnership needs as assigned
The intern will be scheduled for 8 hours each week during the spring semester, one hour of which will be spent working directly with the Graduate Coordinator. WW allows for a flexible schedule.
Compensation & Benefits
Developing relationships with UA and local high school students. Connection to the greater community of Tucson. This is an unpaid internship; however, this internship satisfies 3 credit hours for ENGL 393 or equivalent.
How to apply
Please email Wildcat Writers at email@example.com your resume, cover letter, and two academic or professional references (only include their name, title, department/organization, phone, and email). Application materials need to be emailed to Wildcat Writers (firstname.lastname@example.org) by Dec. 30, 2022.