University of Arizona Library

Be sure to provide your e-mail address to the staff at the Circulation Desk. They will contact you via e-mail when recalled books are available, notify you about overdue books, etc. Also, if you change your address or phone number, alert the Circulation staff so they can update your file.

Electronic Holdings: Many of the journals that the library subscribes to are now also available as electronic holdings.

Popular Databases: Some of on-line indices available through the library that grad students recommend for research include the following databases:

Bibliography of the History of Art
Chicano Database
Dissertation Abstracts
English Short Title Catalogue
Film Index International
Hispanic American Periodical Index
International Medieval Bibliography
Lexis-Nexis Academic Universe
MLA Index
RAIN Bibliographic File

The Literature Program Contacts for British and American materials are Sheril Hooks (British) at 621-9919 or, and Veronica Reyes (American) at 621-8366 or These librarians will be glad to assist you in accessing collections such as the Short Title Catalogue of Books Printed in England, The Early American Imprints Collections, or The American Periodicals Series. They also encourage graduate students to assist in collections development, and welcome your suggestions about book purchases and journal subscriptions.

Study Carrels For Dissertation Work: The UA Library has Graduate Student Study Carrels available for both Short Term and Long Term Loan. To secure a long term study carrel in the Main Library, you must be PhD Candidate who has already passed comprehensive exams and is currently enrolled at the UA. Apply as soon as possible: competition for the limited number of carrels is fierce and you may be put on a waiting list before the library reserves a carrel for you. All carrel assignments are based on Library research needs of PhD students and faculty.  For information on applying for a study carrel visit the website

For an overview on Library resources and services for graduate students, see  Research Support for graduate students.


College of Social and Behavioral Sciences