RCTE CORE COURSE OFFERINGS
The coursework in the doctoral degree serves several functions:
- orients students to major issues, concepts, theories, and practices in areas of inquiry deemed by our faculty to be important for 21st Century scholars of Rhetoric and Composition;
- helps to solidify both graduate school and intellectual cohorts, which contribute to the short term and long term success of our students;
- familiarizes students with the accepted and emerging professional practices related to academia;
- facilitates student exploration of a variety of research areas, which thus helps students discern an area of specialization (needed for comps and the diss);
- assesses students on their developing abilities to perform advanced level scholarship and function collegially in an academic setting.
Given these objectives, coursework focuses on both orienting students to major trends and concepts in Rhetoric and Composition and enabling students to pursue their avenues of specialization.