Worlds of Words seeks a highly motivated individual with an interest in online and traditional marketing for an editorial internship in our collection located on the fourth floor of the College of Education. This internship allows individuals to participate in all areas of Worlds of Words’s outreach. Though the position emphasizes editorial work, there will be opportunities for light writing and research as well.
Reports to: Coordinator of Outreach and Collections
- Copy editing, fact checking and optimizing website posts
- Preparation of social media updates
- Preparation of press releases
- Copy editing and preparing publicity materials
- Writing and submitting event listings to local calendars
- Carrying out light administrative tasks
Other duties may include:
- Copy editing and preparing electronic newsletter
- Collaborating with and assisting other members of the WOW outreach team
- Writing articles for wowlit.org including reviews, profiles, event recaps, etc.
- Selection and digital manipulation of images for marketing purposes
- Providing patron service in person, on the phone and online
- Assisting co-workers with events
Hours and compensations
Interns will be scheduled for 8.5 to 9 hours each week. Worlds of Words allows for a flexible schedule. While we will track the hours the Editorial Assistant Intern puts in to report back to the University of Arizona English Department, we are more interested in the completion of tasks.
This is an unpaid internship; however this qualifies for the 3-credit internship for ENGL 393 or equivalent.
Exposure to the book industry and current literary climate. Previews of unpublished and newly published books for children and teens. Networking opportunities and job skills development. Publication by-lines. Relevant skills in online platforms. A fun and engaging work environment located on campus.
- Excellent writing and proofreading skills
- Ability to type 40+ wpm
- Strong Internet research skills
- Familiarity with Associated Press style and American Psychological Association style
- Strong interest in current events around the globe
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to work effectively on a team
- Familiarity with Macs and MS Word
- Familiarity with WordPress desired, but not required
How to apply
Send a cover letter, resume and two short nonfiction writing samples or excerpts (preferably journalistic articles) of no more than 500 words. Send in the application materials via e-mail with Word or PDF attachments to Rebecca Ballenger at email@example.com. Please put “Editorial Intern” as the subject header. We will contact you only if you have been selected for an interview.