English Department Course Policies

Courses taught in the Department of English are governed by University of Arizona policies and procedures. When you enroll in a course you agree to follow these policies.


Click here to go to a section in the page.
Academic Dishonesty and Plagiarism
Administrative Drop
Grade Appeals
Incomplete Grade
Religious Holidays
Standards of Writing
Mid-Career Writing Assessment
Student Code of Conduct
Writing Assistance


Academic Dishonesty and Plagiarism. All students are responsible for upholding the Code of Academic Integrity. Students are responsible for documenting any use of words and ideas that are not their own, including information found in electronic media. Most English professors prefer the guidelines for documentation developed by the Modern Language Association.

Administrative Drop. In classes with limited enrollments (including all English courses) absence on the first day of class may result in removal from the course. The administrative drop is an instructor's option, not an obligation. Students are responsible for checking their class schedules, and withdrawing from any course they are not attending. Students who fail to attend class will receive a grade of 'E'.

Attendance. The university catalog states that attendance at class meetings is the student's responsibility. Students with excessive absences may be dropped from a course with a grade of 'E'. Teachers will define "excessive absences" on their course handouts, but more than one unexcused absence from a course meeting once a week (or two from a course meeting twice weekly, or three from a course meeting three times a week) is generally considered excessive.

Deadlines. Students are responsible for observing deadlines to add or drop courses, as announced in the current catalog. After the fourth week of the semester, students must be doing satisfactory work in a course in order to withdraw from it with a grade of "W." After the eighth week, they may withdraw from a course only if they withdraw from all courses they are taking or successfully petition the College of Humanities Academic Advising Center in Modern Languages 345. To withdraw from just a single course after the eighth week, there must be extraordinary circumstances.

Grade Appeals. The university has an established procedure for appealing a grade in a course. Students who wish to make an appeal must use the form available in the office of the Dean of the College of Humanities (Modern Languages 345).

Incomplete Grade. University policy dictates that the grade of 'I' will be awarded only when "all but a minor portion of the course work has been satisfactorily completed." Before awarding a grade of 'I', an English instructor must complete a "Removal-of-Incomplete Contract" which states what work remains to be completed and by what date.

Prerequisites. Students must meet prerequisites for courses as indicated in the University Catalog. The web registration system (WebReg) will not block entrance to most English courses. Satisfaction of the Freshman Composition requirement (ENGL 102, 104H, 108, 109H, or an accepted equivalent course) is prerequisite to all course work in English above the 100- level. Freshman Composition courses may not be taken simultaneously with courses above 199. Because all English courses build on the first-year experience, all students should be familiar with the standards for written work that are set forth in the Student's Guide to First-Year Composition.

Religious Holidays. Teachers will accommodate the needs of students during religious holidays. Students should inform teachers of their plans well in advance in order to make alternative arrangements.

Standards of Writing. First-year composition courses introduce students to the techniques of documenting research and the criteria for grading essays that will also apply in most other classes offered in the department. Such information is contained in the Student's Guide to First-Year Composition, copies of which are available at the Campus Bookstore. Students who transfer from other institutions should check this document online to learn how to satisfy the requirement. Standards inculcated during the first-year courses include:
- Students not in class when writing is assigned are still responsible for completing the assignment when due.
- Late work will not be accepted without penalty unless the students make arrangements for an extension before the due date.
- The student should retain copies of writing turned in. All writing done for a course should be kept until after the end of the semester.
- Drafts of writing assignments should be retained, and should be brought to conferences with the teacher to indicate significant changes in purpose, audience, content, expression, organization, development of ideas, and maturity of thought.
- Final copies should be typed, double-spaced with numbered pages, and given a title.

Mid-Career Writing Assessment (MCWA) for Undergraduate English Students. The Department follows, in general, the MCWA policy of the University. Under that policy, any student who completes ENGL 102 or one of its equivalents with a grade of B or better satisfies the MCWA requirement, so that is also true for all English and Creative Writing majors. If a student receives a C or below in ENGL 102 and is a major in English or Creative Writing, he or she must earn the approval of the Director of Undergraduate Studies in English in order for the MCWA to be satisfied. A student may gain that approval via one of three routes:

     1. The completion of ENGL 380 (Literary Analysis) with a grade of B or better;

     2. The taking and passing -- with a B or P or better -- of additional writing coursework approved by the Undergraduate Director; or

     3. The submission to that Director of a portfolio of at least 3 pieces of expository writing from at least 3 different classes. If and when the Director approves the final version of that portfolio as acceptable University writing, the MCWA requirement for graduation is satisfied.

English majors must have their MCWA satisfied before they can enroll in ENGL 496A, the required senior capstone for that major, and Creative Writing majors must meet the MCWA requirement before they can enroll in ENGL 401, 404, and/or 409.

Student Code of Conduct. All students are responsible for upholding the Code of Conduct.

Writing AssistanceThe University Writing Center provides "a place to talk about ideas" and to get feedback from peer tutors. The service is available free of charge to all current students. The Writing Skills Improvement Program offers workshops and tutoring assistance for students who are referred by instructors or meet eligibility requirements.


College of Social and Behavioral Sciences