Admission to the MAESL program is selective and is determined on a case-by-case basis. Admission requires an undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or above in relevant fields (e.g. in social sciences, humanities, and education, but especially English and foreign languages). International applicants whose native language is not English need a total TOEFL score of at least 550 pbt, or 79 ibt, or an IELTS 7 (no subject below 6), or CESL endorsement.
For normal applicants, the deadline for receipt of all application materials is January 15. Early applications will be given precedence in funding. Late applications may be accepted on a case-by-case basis--please contact the ELL program directly if you wish to be considered for Fall admission during the late spring/summer.
- Complete the online UA Graduate School application. The online Graduate School application will lead you to the online ELL program application.
- Please complete the online ELL application, and when prompted, please upload, in pdf or doc form:
- Curriculum Vita (resumé) or equivalent
- Scans of unofficial or official transcripts from each academic institution attended. Please send official transcripts, when admitted, directly to the Graduate College:
The University of Arizona
PO Box 210066
Tucson, AZ 85721-0066
- A two- to three-page statement of purpose. This statement should describe your teaching, leadership, and cross-cultural experiences as well as your academic and career goals.
- The email addresses of two or three referrers for letters of reference. The UA Graduate School will then send them emails asking them to upload the letters. Be sure to contact each referrer beforehand and ask him/her to address, in the letter, your:
- academic performance and potential,
- leadership activities and potential,
- teaching performance, and
- cross-cultural knowledge and sensitivity.
- If you are an international student whose first language (or one of your first languages) is not English, self-report TOEFL scores. The scores should also be submitted officially to the Grad College.
- A six- to ten-page writing sample on an academic topic.
- If you are interested in funding, please also self-report GRE scores. GRE scores are not required of applicants not interested in funding.
- For applicants interested in funding, have GRE scores sent directly to the UA Graduate College. The university code is 4832 and the department code is 2599. GRE scores are not required of applicants not interested in funding.
- If you are interested in funding, send Program Director Dr. Dwight Atkinson an email with your request.
- For international students, have TOEFL or IELTS scores sent directly to the UA Graduate College. The university code is 4832. Department code is 2501. TOEFL scores are not required of international applicants who consider themselves native speakers of English.
- Students requesting non-immigrant visas (I-20 or DS-2019) must certify that they possess adequate financial resources to support themselves while in residence at The University of Arizona. If students will have members of their families (i.e.- spouse or child/ren) accompany them to the United States additional funding will be required. Financial guarantee documents must be dated within six months of the term of admission and must be addressed to The University of Arizona.
English Language/Linguistics Program
University of Arizona
Department of English
1423 E. University Blvd.
Modern Languages Building Rm. 445
Tucson, AZ 85721-0067 U.S.A.